Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) is a government corporate entity attached to the Department of Agriculture created through Executive Order 1061 on 5 November 1985 (as amended) to help develop high-yielding and cost-reducing technologies so farmers can produce enough rice for all Filipinos.
The Institute accomplishes this mission through research and development work in our central and six branch stations, coordinating with a network that comprises 57 agencies and 70 seed centers strategically located nationwide.
As proof the Institute’s quality of service, PhilRice received the following certifications: ISO 9001:2008 (Quality Management), ISO 14001:2004 (Environmental Management), and OHSAS 18001:2007 (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series).
A self-sufficient, sustainable, and competitive rice economy through a responsive rice R&D system and a strong, innovative science and technology base.
To help the country attain rice self-sufficiency by increasing the productivity and profitability of rice farmers in a sustainable and competitive manner.
- Lead strategic efforts in national rice science for development;
- Help ensure rice self-sufficiency and food security;
- Increase farm productivity and profitability;
- Reduce hunger and poverty;
- Provide new knowledge and information;
- Transform lives in rice farming communities; and
- Make rice R&D rewarding for scientists and researchers.