Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund – Seed and Extension
The Philippines lifted its quantitative restrictions on imported rice as part of the countryâ€™s obligation to the World Trade Organization (WTO), which the country is a member since 1995. For 22 years, WTO had allowed the Philippines to limit the entry of rice imports as the country prepares its farmers for international competition. The intergovernmental organization had granted several extensions for special treatment on rice until it expired in June 2017.
To help rice farmers become competitive in a free trade regime, Philippine Rice Research Institute (PhilRice) implements the seed component of the Rice Competitiveness Enhancement Fund (RCEF) created thru Republic Act 11203 or Rice Trade Liberalization Law. Under the program, PhilRice will develop, propagate, and promote inbred rice seeds. Mandated to promote high-quality inbred rice seeds to about 2 million farmers in 57 provinces, PhilRice will also enhance farmersâ€™ skill and knowledge on rice production.
The seed component of RCEF is hoped to contribute in increasing yield up to 6t/ha in high-yielding provinces and 5t/ha in medium-yielding provinces by 2024. The program also aims to lower production cost by 30%, reduce postharvest losses to 12%, and trim down marketing cost by P1/kg.
- RCEF farmers post higher yield, income
- More RCEF harvests to come
- RCEF training programs for farmers to continue
- RCEF seed deliveries reach 2M mark; farmers laud program
- Extension program enhances farmersâ€™ knowledge in 57 provinces
- Farmers urged to enlist, join groups for RCEF support
- PhilRice RCEF
- RCEF – Seed Program
- RCEF – Rice Extension Services Program
- Mga magsasaka muling nakatangap ng binhi mula sa RCEF
- First RCEF seed distribution
- Mga magsasaka nakatanggap ng mga benepisyo mula sa RCEF
- Agriculture Secretary William Dar leads seed distribution in Pampanga
- Pagpupuro ng binhi
- RCEF Seed Program
- Rice Tariffication Law
- Apat na diskarte nang makasabay sa imported rice
- PalaycheckSystem 2020 – Revised edition for trainers and extensionist
- Sistemang palaycheck para sa palayang may patubig
Frequently Asked Questions